Avenue Community Church was established in January 2013, out of a vision to build a ministry that intentionally strives to be with God, with People in Mission. We are a part of the Evangelical Covenant Church, a rapidly growing multi-ethnic denomination in the United States and Canada with ministries on five continents in the world. The ECC values the Bible as the Word of God, the gift of God’s grace and ever-deepening spiritual life that comes through faith in Jesus Christ, the importance of extending God’s love and compassion to a hurting world, and the strength that comes from unity within diversity.
Avenue celebrated its 6-year anniversary recently. Since its establishment, we have moved to our third location and continue to experience growth; both in people coming to faith and babies being born. Currently, we are located in the east end of Toronto and are seeking a half-time pastor for our Children and Family ministry, which focuses on our children aged 2 years to 5th grade students.
In addition to calling, gifting and character, the candidate must demonstrate a deep love and commitment to the Avenue community and agree with Avenue’s vision and values. Avenue’s leadership is comprised of a committee and therefore the ideal candidate would work well in a group setting and also seek to raise leaders in the Children’s ministry as it continues to grow. Candidates must also have experience in Children’s ministry, be excited about discipling children, and have the ability to partner with parents as primary spiritual mentors of their children. Avenue strives to be accessible to all and requires the ideal candidate to be open to making accommodations to various needs.
QUALITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Has life centered on Jesus. Engages deeply with children and their families and serves them lovingly out of a centered and thriving relationship with Jesus.
- Teach children the Gospel story intentionally and create space for formation and transformation
- Oversee Sunday morning Worship Service and ministry, including planning, preparation and implementation
- Be primary preacher for Sunday Worship Service
- Participate in Dedication/Baptism Parent Class and services as needed
Connects well with children and families on a personal level in order to understand needs, guide parents and to provide spiritual care. Also engages well with volunteer team, elders and pastors to ensure ministry goals are met and kept in line with Avenue’s overall vision.
- Coach the Children’s Ministry team to build relationships with the kids and their parents and lead by example
- Encourage parents in spiritual parenting, sharing tools and equipping conversations for the home
- Encourage family participation in Sunday Worship Services and Church-wide events
Works closely with the Senior Pastor and Discipleship Elder to ensure ministry goals are met, leads and develops team of volunteer leaders, and provides support to parents.
- Work with the Senior Pastor in the development and implementation of the curriculum
- Meet with the Pastoral team and Elders on a regular basis for prayer, planning, support and accountability
- Learn to use Planning Centre software to plan services and manage volunteer schedule
- Provide updates about Children’s Ministry couple times a year in the adult Worship service
Self – Motivated
Must work well independently and demonstrate ability to be a good steward of this ministry by taking creative initiatives to develop and grow this ministry.
- Screen, recruit, train, equip and schedule volunteer leaders to serve in Children’s Ministry
- Create appropriate and inclusive classroom environments (thematic, holiday/seasonal, scripture, curriculum visuals)
- Plan, prepare and implement Children’s worship sessions during the Annual Retreat, Annual General Meeting and Special Services
- Lead children’s participation in special church-wide events such as Father’s/Mother’s Day, Costume Party, Graduation, picnic
- Organize and maintain the inventory of craft and other supplies
- Manage Children’s ministry budget, including planning for and purchasing necessary supplies
- Administer and maintain children’s registration and attendance
- Be open to plan, prepare and implement Summer VBS in the future
Compensation: $25,000 for half-time (25 hours/week)
Minimum 3-years experience (preferred) working with elementary aged children in school or Children’s ministry in a church setting. Must possess a vibrant and growing faith in Jesus, compatibility with the Evangelical Covenant Church doctrine and committed to becoming a member of Avenue Community Church upon hire. Must be willing to participate in a Vulnerable Sector Screening as a part of the hiring process.
Position open until February 28th, 2019. Please email cover letter, resume and minimum 3 references to the Senior Pastor at: firstname.lastname@example.org